Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Help- my fear of becoming "Two-slice" Kristin


If any of you have watched the movie "The Help" (or read the book), you know exactly what this blog is going to be about! Last week I hired a housekeeper to work three days a week (M,W,F from 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.) to help clean my house and restore some sanity to the Brackett household. The last three weeks have been wonderful, but CRAZY. It seems that mental work is more laboring than physical work and I have had a nonstop workout.

Initially,  I kept resisting Marc's suggestion to hire a housekeeper. I know some of you want to slap me for protesting, but given my personality, I was terrified about having to give someone instructions in Spanish. Though my Spanish has been improving, I find that I experience a complete mental shutdown when only Spanish is required. I can understand other people talking, but when the pressure is on for me to perform, well..... mind blank, deer in the headlights look, mouth hanging open....you get the picture. 

Trying to learn another language has been harder for me than I thought. It is the thinking in two languages that is dragging me down. Thinking in English then translating into Spanish. I was told that eventually I would only think in Spanish, but I haven't gotten there yet. Everytime I have gone out shopping hoping to improve my Spanish with the locals, they call an English speaking friend to come and help me. It's an indicator of just how small this town is. I think they see the Americana coming and make the call before I even walk through the door.  This has happened to me numerous times and there are moments I just wish I was anonymous, normal, like everybody else. 

Okay, back to the housekeeper.  Having Nina has been wonderful. She is an older woman and seems to be very nice. Morgan showed me Google Translator, so now communicating is a breeze. I believe that language barriers are now a thing of the past with all the advancements in technology. I love you Google!  I admit several times Nina has spoken to me and I didn't have a clue what she was saying, but I smile and nod and then she goes on about her business. It's all working out quite well.  The other morning, though, I did understand her (mostly by her body language and pointing).  Nina was trying to ask me if she could hang her coat and bag in the bathroom or if I would prefer it if she placed in outback-outside. Now, I had just finished reading "The Help" the weekend before and all I could think about was "two slice Hilly", so naturally I told her the bathroom would be just fine! I find it ironic that I just finished the book and hired a housekeeper.

I don't know how I ever lived without someone helping me. Nina seems to make everything shine and after only a few days I have quickly adjusted to this new way of life.  Poor Marc. He's ruined me. I don't think I could ever go back to doing it all myself now. Fortunately, having someone clean your house in Uruguay is incredibly affordable, just $10/day and even Marc can see the sense in that!  I don't know how he is going to afford it when we move on, but I will let him figure that one out! :) Anyway, I am going to go now and relax in the bed that was made for me this morning.
"Two-slice" Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment