Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Misinterpretation, miscommunication, and other things I am good at!

I am going to start this blog out with a little story about last weekend. Last Friday, one of our neighbors, Florencia, brought over her 71 year old mother to meet us.  Her mother (Olga) was visiting from Montevideo and had wanted to meet the American family.  Olga had spent twenty some years traveling the globe working in various embassies (I believe Florencia was born in Israel).  She was an impressive woman and spoke perfect English. She spoke eight different languages in all: Spanish, English, French, Portuguese, Hebrew, German, Italian, and Greek, but claimed she has lost the ability to speak three of them in the last couple years, as she has had no one to talk "Greek" to.  Olga was the very definition of a "well bred woman".

Now, a little about this "well bred" woman.  Florencia and her mother invited me to attend a floral show being held down at the plaza (a little park in the center of town).  I was told- "they have alot of pretty flowers on display and it is very nice to look at."  In my head, I was thinking "Garden Expo" being held in the plaza! Great, I love flowers!  I was excited because I had been meaning to pick up some flowers for the back garden, but didn't know where to go... so this would be perfect. So, on Saturday evening I strolled over to Florencia's house to join them.  When I met Florencia at the door, I noticed I was a little underdressed.  Florencia and her mother were wearing suits and I, well....I was dressed for a Garden Expo.  Florencia doesn't speak enough English, but gestured we get in her car and drive down to the plaza.  Now the bells were definitely going off in my head, but as we were on our way already, I decided just to get in the car.  When we arrived at the plaza, I noticed there wasn't anything going on in the actual park...it was empty. I did notice a bunch of very well dressed people heading into a building on the side, though. I quietly said to Florencia's mother, "I think I am a little underdressed." She quietly replied, "yes." 

It turns out it was a very formal affair.  Local artists and florists created various artistic displays using plants and florals. There were dresses made out of leaves and rose buds. There were tables with exquisite vases and floral arrangements. It was all quite lovely. There was one display, though, that received alot of attention. In fact, everyone even stepped back a foot or two to take a look....yes, you got it, the American idiot dressed in shorts, a tank top, and sweater. In my defense, Mom, I was clean!

Throughout the evening, I tried to smile nicely, like the teenage girl with a pimple on her nose, hoping no one would really notice. It didn't work. Also, the fundraiser for the event was a beautiful arrangement of tortas (cakes), in which you could purchase a slice for about $15.  As Florencia and Olga ordered a couple slices, I didn't help my case any by declining to buy a slice. For those who don't know, I am allergic to wheat. I tried to explain to them that I had allergies, but I don't think they believed me. Anyway, to make a long story shorter...I think I ate "humble" pie that night instead. 

If I had an ego prior to this trip, I promise you, it is disappearing. Over the last six months, I have experienced alot of changes in my life...from boxing up my house, living in a pop-up trailer, to moving to Uruguay.  I cannot explain or describe all the changes I am experiencing within myself, except to say that every day (since I have left Idaho) I feel another layer of what I have created to define myself  being stripped away. When you live where no one knows who you are, what you have done, or where you have been and you are unable to communicate very well...you are only judged on the kind of a person you are at any given moment.  I didn't win anyone over at the floral show, but I hope over the next year or so, that I will grow as a person....one who is more understanding, more sympathetic, more empathetic, and more generous. By the end of this chapter of my life, I want to learn to live without the constant validation from others that I formerly sought and to simply accept myself as "ordinary."

One last thing...after crying to Marc about how embarrassed I was at the floral show, he told me a little story about himself. Over the last month or so, when Marc was asked why he was here in Uruguay, he replied he wanted to have look around the country. He said that the people often looked at him strangely and then said nothing more.  In talking to his friend, Raul, Marc said the very same thing "I want to have a look around the country."  Raul told Marc that "to look" and "to pee" sounded very similar and that Marc was in fact telling everyone "he wanted to pee on their country."  No wonder we haven't made many friends!
Till next time, love and kisses,
Kristin

1 comment:

  1. Wahhhahahhh laughed so hard that Marc is telling people that! I can imagine how red he got when Raul told him what he was saying! Keep blogging girl, love hearing about your adventure. Email me you address please....Santa's elves may bring you something.:) theonionfarmerswife@gmail

    ReplyDelete